L I G H T S C A M E R A N E W B U R G H
W H Y Newburgh?
1) Extensive variety of shooting locations only found in Newburgh + breathtaking scenes of Hudson Valley
2) Abundant NYS Film Tax Credits
3) Existing film services, such as two certified soundstages and the Umbra of Newburgh independent film company
4) Close proximity to New York City + Stewart Airport
5) Generous city policy that streamlines filmmaking within the city
W H O is PROPLAB?
PROPLAB is a nonprofit that partners with local entities like the Umbra of Newburgh, Mount Saint Mary’s College, and the City to tap existing resources to transform Newburgh into a film machine. By introducing the repurposing of film sets, PROPLAB adds a new step to the traditional film production cycle that generates a dual purpose infrastructure that streamlines film and provides a public service.
S T R A T E G Y + I M P A C T
Our design focuses on two areas of the city that have been consistently overlooked by private and public investment. It strategy is twofold. First, we build on the momentum generated by emerging small businesses and trends, such as the shift in Hispanic demographics and growing artist community, that occur along Liberty Street to create supporting programs for all phases of filmmaking. Secondly, through PROPLAB, we deploy re-purposed sets and film towers that vary in scale depending on their context, and serve both the community and film crews. While Newburgh becomes specialized in the pre-production and the production of film, PROPLAB becomes a vehicle to connect the cities and existing film services within the Mid-Hudson Valley to form a competitive film region that attracts business from not only New York City, but also the nation.
Jessica Chueng Hanqing Kuang Guillermo Ramirez Amy Shell Razvan Voroneanu